Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Stop the presses: BUN WITH LIKENESS OF MOTHER TERESA STOLEN

>

[People sometimes wonder why I keep up my AOL membership. Where else do you get news like this (courtesy of the AP, though the photo comes from The Tennessean)? Personally, I'm shocked. Is there no end to the litany of earthly wickedness?--Ken]


NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Dec. 26) - A cinnamon bun that bears a striking likeness to Mother Teresa has gone missing from the coffeehouse where it was displayed.

The owner, Bob Bernstein, arrived to find an early Christmas morning break-in and the world-famous pastry gone.

Bernstein said he believes that the culprit is someone angry over the shop displaying the Nun Bun, which has been preserved with shellac. A jar of money next to it was not stolen.

"They went right for the bun," he said. "Unfortunately I think it's somebody who wanted to take it to destroy it."

The Nun Bun gained worldwide attention in 1996 when a Bongo Java customer nearly took a bite of it before recognizing the revered nun in the folds of flaky pastry.

The bun was featured on world news programs, The Late Show with David Letterman and was even mentioned on episodes of "The Nanny" and "Mad About You."

Bongo Java sold T-shirts, prayer cards and mugs with the bun's image before Mother Teresa wrote a personal letter to the coffeehouse asking the sales be stopped.

12-26-05 10:31 EST

3 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger enigma4ever said...

I just don't SEE her... I have now looked at three different sites, and I think I need my eyes checked...I I get hungry when I look at it..that's it....they say she was stolen- how do we know she was not eaten?

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Ohmygod, EATEN the cinnamon-roll likeness of Mother Teresa? This story keeps getting more shocking.

That would be, like, cannibal-by-pastry-ism, no? Or what would you call eating a saint, or her pastry double? Sounds like the work of godless liberals to me.

Ken

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger macromayhem said...

Any news on when they will be contacting you to remove the picture you've posted?

HAhaha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home